Skip to main content

IM WI 08

Busy weekend, but awfully fun too. Mike and I volunteered in registration on Friday. Only 800 registered of the 2200 on Thursday, so we were hopping! All volunteers get a tee-shirt. This year, they have a cow on the front that strangely looks more like a goat. It is original, for sure.

Saturday, Angie, Chey and I went up to deliver our course signs. Angie hadn't been back since 06', but the IM village is still the IM village. Lots of ways to spend your pennies.

Sunday morning, we made church. Then I got a run in. Then off to the IM! Kids were checking the IM splits as often as I was, and they did not want to go hang on the course. So, they stayed home monitoring the computer. I met Mike after his shift, and we took mountain bikes down on the run course by picnic point. There we saw mostly everyone, except CJ. Got some pics too. Supper was pizza and then back on the course. One of our friends who trains at Princeton came through there, along with CJ. Course was complete, with Batman cheering on the participants.
We talked with people along the course. I wore my IM finisher shirt, looks good, but basically I was totally freaking out about IM AZ....Mike was trying to keep my head on, but easy for him-he isn't doing AZ!

Next morning, I was in line for volunteer sign up at 7 am. Lots of nervous, excited banter in the line. Really, that part is suprisingly fun! Some very nice guy handed me his laptop to make a hotel reservation. Sweet!

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh my ...... did I just read you are doing 09 too??? SWEET!
bigmike600 said…
YEAH...I am so glad you are doing IMWI 09. As the wife said..SWEET.

Popular posts from this blog

Training for Power

It's been a long year. This year was HARD! Lots of injuries kept me from training to my full potential. Nearly 6 months without speed work; and what a jinx that is on performance! Some of you know I had a major back surgery in the spring of 07. My L4-S1 are now for ever fused with titanium rods. Sadly, they are not carbon fiber, as any triathlete would prefer. This has resulted in the loss of mobility/flexibility in the lower back, making my hamstrings prone to tightness and all the fun that goes with that weak link. I've tried to address this on my own. I purchased a set of Powercranks in 08 and used them faithfully. If you don't know what that is, you should. They force you to pedal each leg independent and pull the crank up/around with your hamstrings. They are beastly! They improved my run times tremendously and made my pedal stroke very smooth on the bike. In 09, I went to Mercy Sports Rehab. Brent Wesolek did an assessment of my riding and said he h

Down Time

Since missing IM WI 70.3 due to the weather, we have been taking it easy around here. A couple of long bike rides just to enjoy the summer weather here in Wisconsin. We have been ignoring the endless pool, unfortunately. It is just not something that either of us seem to enjoy that much. I need to rediscover the motivational groove, but work hours have been crazy. I am currently working four different places, which helped to pay off the pool quickly. Working so many hours has burned out the drive I had left. There hasn't been much play time. I know I am not the only one who has been working too many hours. Americans are taking less and less vacation. Maybe it is financial, maybe too many demands from work to take time away, who knows. Being a workaholic doesn't pay. We become less productive, as we continue sitting and doing the same work for hours. The human mind can only stay on task just so long, and then the quality and quantity of what we produce decreases. We make more

Ironman Louisville 2010

This past Sunday was the morning of my fourth Ironman race. The day started out at 4:30 with Mike's cell phone going off somewhere in the room. He didn't even seem to notice, and I couldn't find the damn thing in the dark. My ITouch was set to go off next to me, but it ended up providing the light needed to search for the ringing phone. Unfortunately, by the complaints next door, this started the neighbor's day early too. You don't want to camp next to the Brady's. After an entire race season of not tolerating speed work but doing a ton of endurance; the pressure was off. There were no real moments of nerves at all. Just going through the moves and wishing things could just get started. There were plenty of moments wondering what was wrong with me that I felt so chill about it all. Sometimes you just find that happy zone where you know exactly where you are at physically and go with it. It sure is a good place to be! I try to keep my race routine