Skip to main content

I am a Nurse!

Lately my attitude has been crap. Ornery about everything. Things that I have invested myself in, I am ready to throw the towel in on. I just haven't felt that what I was doing was appreciated. Case point, I requested addresses for our ANNA local chapter from nationals at the beginning of the summer, and twice more since. No response. The other day, I get this e-mail saying they have set up a "task force" to figure out a way they can assist chapters that are struggling. They would like me to take a survey to tell them what I think. ARGH! Are you kidding me? So I thought about how I would respond to this for awhile. Then I got mad and said some things in an e-mail that weren't very nice. I mean, it wasn't terrible or anything. It was professional. But it could have been said nicer. BAD KARMA!

At work, we are striving to get Magnet Status. Some of the higher-ups have asked to interview me to discuss my involvement with professional nursing organizations and how it has affected my practice. Also, they wanted to know about my volunteer work in the community as a nurse and if it made a difference. It got me thinking about what it is that I do on my own time and what it is that I like about it. This was a good thing, since I seem to be functioning in a burned-out zone. About time for a reset, I would say!

I have been working in nephrology related areas for the past five years. In that time, I have been involved in American Nephrology Nurses' Association for the past 3. Last year, I was the chapter president-elect for the Badger chapter. I traveled to our national convention in Dallas. I am now the current President for our local chapter. We offer numerous topics for furthering education. This summer, our chapter planned a certification review course and hosted a certification exam. I sat successfully for this exam, and can say with pride that I am a Certified Nephrology Nurse. The national chapter encouraged me to become certified, by role-modeling and mentoring. Certification furthers understanding of the standards of your practice, which is the root to being able to provide the best possible care to your patients. Programs that discuss the importance of access is on example of how they have impacted my practice. I now discuss the benefits of utilization of a fistula for access with my patients and encourage them to protect the access they have. The best dialysis equals the highest quality of life for patients who have chronic kidney disease. ANNA encourages collaboration with other groups to further education and improve the quality of offerings. This September, our local chapter collaborated with the National Kidney Foundation to host an all day event for medical professionals. The topics presented were all aimed at improving the lives of kidney patients. We provided programs for dieticians, social workers, nurses and dialysis technicians. The program included 13.5 continuing educational credits. October 7th, we will be hosting an audioconference entitled "Getting Your Patient Ready for Transplant" here at UW. Being involved with others who share my specialty allows me to discuss things that impact the health and lives of my patients. It is a great way to gain new ideas and to feel that I can make a difference to my patients, who often struggle to cope with an illness that can be very difficult to accept. This keeps me excited to go to work, gives me the chance to share what I learn.
This past spring, another nurse form UW got me involved in Touched Twice. She is really "out there in the trenches" when it comes to giving of yourself in the community, and really a gem of a human being. Touched Twice is an organization that sponsors free clinics throughout the country. We participated in a clinic in Sun Prairie. All services are volunteer based. I was responsible for contacting chiropractors to assist with the clinic. There were four that volunteered to see patients. At the clinic, I provided vitals, weights and blood glucose monitoring. I provided health screenings prior to patients seeing a physician. I didn't realize we would have so many people coming who otherwise would not have access to primary care. Information was given to assist them in getting prescriptions free or reduced. I was saddened to see so many children who did not have basic access to care. I remember a patient who came in with severe depression, who had suffered for months untreated because of lack of insurance. Many like these were referred to professionals offering pro bono services. It makes me tear up just to remember that day. But so many people were helped and I really felt that we were needed, both our skills as professionals and as fellow human beings that could simply offer an ear to those hurting emotionally. I left that day, knowing that I had gotten so much more out of this experience than the people who sought my services.

As a nurse, I have the greatest job in the world. I just sometimes forget it, getting caught up in the negativity that is so abundant in our work culture. But I really cannot think of another job where what I do makes such a difference to those in need. These are real people, many with very serious health problems. Invest yourself in them and you get so much more back. A kind word, a bit of reassurance. Responding quickly to requests, thinking ahead to what they might need. Providing expert care. Explaining the why's they don't get when the doctor tells them what to do. I am honored to be part of their lives, if only for a snapshot in time. They probably will not remember me personally. But you better believe they will remember how I treat them. I am a nurse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training for Power

It's been a long year. This year was HARD! Lots of injuries kept me from training to my full potential. Nearly 6 months without speed work; and what a jinx that is on performance! Some of you know I had a major back surgery in the spring of 07. My L4-S1 are now for ever fused with titanium rods. Sadly, they are not carbon fiber, as any triathlete would prefer. This has resulted in the loss of mobility/flexibility in the lower back, making my hamstrings prone to tightness and all the fun that goes with that weak link. I've tried to address this on my own. I purchased a set of Powercranks in 08 and used them faithfully. If you don't know what that is, you should. They force you to pedal each leg independent and pull the crank up/around with your hamstrings. They are beastly! They improved my run times tremendously and made my pedal stroke very smooth on the bike. In 09, I went to Mercy Sports Rehab. Brent Wesolek did an assessment of my riding and said he h

Down Time

Since missing IM WI 70.3 due to the weather, we have been taking it easy around here. A couple of long bike rides just to enjoy the summer weather here in Wisconsin. We have been ignoring the endless pool, unfortunately. It is just not something that either of us seem to enjoy that much. I need to rediscover the motivational groove, but work hours have been crazy. I am currently working four different places, which helped to pay off the pool quickly. Working so many hours has burned out the drive I had left. There hasn't been much play time. I know I am not the only one who has been working too many hours. Americans are taking less and less vacation. Maybe it is financial, maybe too many demands from work to take time away, who knows. Being a workaholic doesn't pay. We become less productive, as we continue sitting and doing the same work for hours. The human mind can only stay on task just so long, and then the quality and quantity of what we produce decreases. We make more

Ironman Louisville 2010

This past Sunday was the morning of my fourth Ironman race. The day started out at 4:30 with Mike's cell phone going off somewhere in the room. He didn't even seem to notice, and I couldn't find the damn thing in the dark. My ITouch was set to go off next to me, but it ended up providing the light needed to search for the ringing phone. Unfortunately, by the complaints next door, this started the neighbor's day early too. You don't want to camp next to the Brady's. After an entire race season of not tolerating speed work but doing a ton of endurance; the pressure was off. There were no real moments of nerves at all. Just going through the moves and wishing things could just get started. There were plenty of moments wondering what was wrong with me that I felt so chill about it all. Sometimes you just find that happy zone where you know exactly where you are at physically and go with it. It sure is a good place to be! I try to keep my race routine