Skip to main content

Shocker!

Yesterday, layed the old bike down. Was raining, and Mike and I were rushing to make the ERC ride on time. Slipped on the paint and damn I knew better. So now I am minus a bunch of skin, pair of new bike shorts and now with a banged up knee just after the foot finally started feeling better. Jeff accused me of being sullen. Well, the impact is huge. I NEED to get running again, and knee swelling is not a great sign that the running program is getting back on track. If I were a recreational rider, I could set it aside as no big deal. Take a week off and get back out there. But there are about 55 training days left, then taper time. I really slept like crap. Look like I have a huge saddle bag on my thigh. So that has me not so happy.

The shocker came via the mail today. I passed the Nephrology Nursing Certification. Phoey, never knew you could get so many wrong and pass. They explain after the fact that they design it to get more than half wrong and still pass. The median score is 100, and mine (by some miracle) was 120. I was so sure I bombed that test. Never took a test I felt so poorly about. Just didn't know I was supposed to get so many wrong. So after reading the letter several times and then making my daughter read it to me, I'm pretty sure the opps we screwed up letter is on it's way!

So now I'm a CNN and actively looking for work other than what I am doing. It is one of those things where you are looking for changes so your license is better protected but that never seems to happen. I had an experience that made me examine this idea, and now I am looking to protect myself. I am irritated with management that nothing changes. I am not a slacker. 5 years of employment, have gotten the BSN, PALS, ACLS and now the CNN. I do a lot of committee work as well, and constantly precept when I work.

The crux here is they are looking for Magnet status. What a washed out, overrated, commercialized label this has become. Hire a consultant and they will show you the way. They want the status but they don't hear the nurses when they are telling them it isn't safe to work 36 hours. Why on-call is something different, I will never understand. I just know I don't want it to be me that kills someone when the hours have gotten to be too much. Our current contract negotiations are suggesting a ten-cent raise to compensate for this. What a joke. Really stears clear of the heart of that issue. Just look at what happened to the nurse at St. Mary's. They are magnet status, yet she was over 12 hrs when she killed that teen. Nice how they sent her packing right away, even before all the details were out about what happened. Exactly what would happen to any one of us in the same shoes. It could happen much easier than any of us would like to think.

Comments

Unknown said…
Congrats on the new creds.

and sorry to hear about the wipeout - OUCH! Did you hurt your new bike??
NursAdrn said…
My new bike is fine, since I was on the old one! That one, btw is fine also. Just trashed the brand new bar tape I put on it and scraped up the rear break lever!

Popular posts from this blog

Training for Power

It's been a long year. This year was HARD! Lots of injuries kept me from training to my full potential. Nearly 6 months without speed work; and what a jinx that is on performance! Some of you know I had a major back surgery in the spring of 07. My L4-S1 are now for ever fused with titanium rods. Sadly, they are not carbon fiber, as any triathlete would prefer. This has resulted in the loss of mobility/flexibility in the lower back, making my hamstrings prone to tightness and all the fun that goes with that weak link. I've tried to address this on my own. I purchased a set of Powercranks in 08 and used them faithfully. If you don't know what that is, you should. They force you to pedal each leg independent and pull the crank up/around with your hamstrings. They are beastly! They improved my run times tremendously and made my pedal stroke very smooth on the bike. In 09, I went to Mercy Sports Rehab. Brent Wesolek did an assessment of my riding and said he h

Down Time

Since missing IM WI 70.3 due to the weather, we have been taking it easy around here. A couple of long bike rides just to enjoy the summer weather here in Wisconsin. We have been ignoring the endless pool, unfortunately. It is just not something that either of us seem to enjoy that much. I need to rediscover the motivational groove, but work hours have been crazy. I am currently working four different places, which helped to pay off the pool quickly. Working so many hours has burned out the drive I had left. There hasn't been much play time. I know I am not the only one who has been working too many hours. Americans are taking less and less vacation. Maybe it is financial, maybe too many demands from work to take time away, who knows. Being a workaholic doesn't pay. We become less productive, as we continue sitting and doing the same work for hours. The human mind can only stay on task just so long, and then the quality and quantity of what we produce decreases. We make more

Ironman Louisville 2010

This past Sunday was the morning of my fourth Ironman race. The day started out at 4:30 with Mike's cell phone going off somewhere in the room. He didn't even seem to notice, and I couldn't find the damn thing in the dark. My ITouch was set to go off next to me, but it ended up providing the light needed to search for the ringing phone. Unfortunately, by the complaints next door, this started the neighbor's day early too. You don't want to camp next to the Brady's. After an entire race season of not tolerating speed work but doing a ton of endurance; the pressure was off. There were no real moments of nerves at all. Just going through the moves and wishing things could just get started. There were plenty of moments wondering what was wrong with me that I felt so chill about it all. Sometimes you just find that happy zone where you know exactly where you are at physically and go with it. It sure is a good place to be! I try to keep my race routine