Skip to main content

Lake Michigan

Yikes, the lake has really been cold lately. I am beginning to freak out about the temp. I do not own a neoprene cap, but own booties. Calling all over Madison, I was unable to locate anyone with any left. Middleton Cycle says they got about 15 calls today requesting just that sort of cap. Currently, there is a silicone cap that I can put under the latex cap required for participants. Lame, I know.

There is a brand new Grand Prix 4000 waiting for the front rim of the "precious". For those of you who have ridden slicks before, you know they are not a good idea for wet roads. Cheap side says they are fine, the rest of me says "not after a swim behind an ice-breaker!" So, a quick trip to Budget Cycle, and I will change it out in the morning.

My husband, Mike says not to worry about the temp. He reminded me of April 2005, wandering around Lake Decatur with no booties or hat. We were navigating around, him in the canoe. The water was about 40 degrees Fahrenheit at that time. The lake was new to us, and we were searching for consistency in depth. I don't remember that being a problem for me then. Hopefully, he is right. He is always so reassuring to me. Keeps my head on right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chey's Bake Sale and Other Stuff

She pulled it off! Made 242.36....Sunday is a trip to Monroe to see Zoey Jane and Phoebe. She will give them the check then with her friends. Tomorrow is my Nephrology Nursing Exam. This comes at a time when I am seriously considering heading back to ICU. Mike has a good racket at the VA. The turnover is incredibly low. Looking at the Surgical ICU. He is in the Cardiac ICU. Every day I work, I am training someone. And I end up with a lot of call because of the turnover. Call is a serious issue, really. Some days you work your 12 hour shift and then you are out on call all night. Then scheduled to work the next day. Your choice-burn your personal time and lose your overtime OR stay the next day and work. I know I am not at my best then and it is so scary. It gives me lots of biking time, but it is eating my vacation seriously. Last time, I was out on call all night with someone's child. I would not have been my first choice if it was my kid whose life was on the line...

Ironman Perform

Ironman Perform Last week, Ironman sent athletes signed up for certain events a case of new Powerbar product called Ironman Perform.  They are intending to serve it at several events and wanted athletes to have the opportunity to train with it ahead of time.  I really appreciated their foresight with this.  After years of struggling with stomach issues, new product is a source of fear that I would rather not deal with. Because my stomach has been so finicky, my attitude has been less than great about this.  Passive-aggressive misspelling of the product to just complete irritation is pretty much where I was at.  But really, I do appreciate having the product ahead of time. So, what about the product?  Well, it brags to be their proprietary C2MAX.  C2MAX is a combo of maltodextrin, fructose and dextrose.  Biochemistry was never my thing, but a multi-path energy source is obviously a valuable thing.  Remember good old Krebs?  Your bo...

Spirit of Racine Turned Ironman Racine 70.3

Today was the check in for IM Racine 70.3. This is the stomping grounds for my old favorite race; you guessed it, Spirit of Racine. Last year, they sold out to IM. My first reaction was one of uncertainty. This event has always been great, with the swim in Lake Michigan (not hidden in a bay somewhere, but out in the open). The run is along the lake on the road that overlooks the whole thing. It is just beautiful. You cannot help but notice, even when it is 99 degrees and 98 % humidity. Didn't seem they needed the help of the corporate giant event organizer. So from the moment of our arrival, my husband and I were scouting the whole thing out. The check in was easy enough. Festival Park Expo Center. Just like before, only that was less chaotic than it has been in years past. The whole building where the expo used to be is now simply check in. Really overkill, in my opinion. You could run laps inside that building; with check in going on. Outside was the expo under t...