Skip to main content

John Muir

The family headed to John Muir for the day. It was a great time. We started out with a picnic lunch and then headed out on the trails. Chey was leading the group which quickly turned out to be a mistake. It could take that kid a week to realize her breaks do not work, because she never uses them. She went flying down a stretch of tree roots and did a bounce off her seat onto her crossbar and slammed her crotch good. She at least was laughing as Nubs asked if she needed the seat pulled out of her rear. From here on in, it was decided that Nubs would lead because she is a bit more cautious. That lasted for two miles and then she wanted to take off. Mike and her left Chey and I half way through our loop. Wasn't far down the line and Chey started to crap out on me. Luckily I didn't have to nag. The mosquito's were quite persuasive. When we turned back, Chey took off down a stretch of tree roots again and hit a corner kind of fast. She slipped off the edge and bowled over two small trees. She was lying on her side with the bike between her legs and couldn't get up, because she was off balance. I pulled her up and we were quickly back on track. She gets goofy when she is tired. Just starts falling off her bike, but she keeps her sense of humor. Three times it seemed she just jumped off her bike. I would just ask her what she was doing and she would laugh. She was all red-faced when we got back, so a second loop was out of the question. The bikes got packed up and we went to Whitewater Lake to hang out. All in all, it was a really nice day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chey's Bake Sale and Other Stuff

She pulled it off! Made 242.36....Sunday is a trip to Monroe to see Zoey Jane and Phoebe. She will give them the check then with her friends. Tomorrow is my Nephrology Nursing Exam. This comes at a time when I am seriously considering heading back to ICU. Mike has a good racket at the VA. The turnover is incredibly low. Looking at the Surgical ICU. He is in the Cardiac ICU. Every day I work, I am training someone. And I end up with a lot of call because of the turnover. Call is a serious issue, really. Some days you work your 12 hour shift and then you are out on call all night. Then scheduled to work the next day. Your choice-burn your personal time and lose your overtime OR stay the next day and work. I know I am not at my best then and it is so scary. It gives me lots of biking time, but it is eating my vacation seriously. Last time, I was out on call all night with someone's child. I would not have been my first choice if it was my kid whose life was on the line...

Ironman Perform

Ironman Perform Last week, Ironman sent athletes signed up for certain events a case of new Powerbar product called Ironman Perform.  They are intending to serve it at several events and wanted athletes to have the opportunity to train with it ahead of time.  I really appreciated their foresight with this.  After years of struggling with stomach issues, new product is a source of fear that I would rather not deal with. Because my stomach has been so finicky, my attitude has been less than great about this.  Passive-aggressive misspelling of the product to just complete irritation is pretty much where I was at.  But really, I do appreciate having the product ahead of time. So, what about the product?  Well, it brags to be their proprietary C2MAX.  C2MAX is a combo of maltodextrin, fructose and dextrose.  Biochemistry was never my thing, but a multi-path energy source is obviously a valuable thing.  Remember good old Krebs?  Your bo...

Spirit of Racine Turned Ironman Racine 70.3

Today was the check in for IM Racine 70.3. This is the stomping grounds for my old favorite race; you guessed it, Spirit of Racine. Last year, they sold out to IM. My first reaction was one of uncertainty. This event has always been great, with the swim in Lake Michigan (not hidden in a bay somewhere, but out in the open). The run is along the lake on the road that overlooks the whole thing. It is just beautiful. You cannot help but notice, even when it is 99 degrees and 98 % humidity. Didn't seem they needed the help of the corporate giant event organizer. So from the moment of our arrival, my husband and I were scouting the whole thing out. The check in was easy enough. Festival Park Expo Center. Just like before, only that was less chaotic than it has been in years past. The whole building where the expo used to be is now simply check in. Really overkill, in my opinion. You could run laps inside that building; with check in going on. Outside was the expo under t...