Skip to main content

Nursing and the Economic Crisis

People have had lots of thoughts flying around as of late relating to the current downturn of the U.S. economy, and now the world economy as well. Although I keep hearing from folks that it is a good thing that I am in nursing, we know economic downturns as well as others. Harry Truman once said “It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose yours.” Some of us lose our jobs quickly, for some it happens gradually over time. We are all beginning to feel the pinch, and I am not convinced that nursing is a recession proof profession.

This is a capitalist society (I'm not knocking it), so no career is recession proof! Nurses have been laid off in mass numbers in the past. I graduated in 1993, and had been promised a job at our local hospital a year before graduation. Six months before graduation, they cut forty registered nurse positions. The new proposal? I would work 40%, and be the first to accept low census days. For anyone unfamiliar with this, it means you are scheduled to work, but if there are not enough patients you just simply don’t work and don’t get paid. And what is the bargain for the employer? Pay new grads significantly less than those with experience and get rid of the need to pay benefits by hiring part-time.

I am not suggesting that we would be jobless in significant numbers. There are still a lot of positions available. In the past, when the economy is tight we just never get around to filling those openings. They often pay less. We work short with people who are not as experienced. In the early nineties, cleaning ladies were told that if we needed help, they were to assist as told.

Wages are not competitive. Already, our contract has expired and we cannot get things moving with it. The wage portion has already been agreed on; it won’t scratch the surface of increased commuting and heating costs. Our stick point is that they would like us to pay for our health insurance. Not all at once, but for them to have the ability to increase it annually to what ever they felt they needed.

If you have never had to pay for decent health insurance, I strongly encourage you to climb out from under your rock and look at the price. The average cost of health insurance to the employer is more than 10,000 per year. Our family lives where we do because I couldn’t get health insurance as a self-employed RN. We paid for a crappy policy that covered my husband and the girls for serious stuff. I was uninsured for five years. Health insurance was denied to me by everyone we applied to. We had COBRA for nine months for six hundred per month. That was the price ten years ago.

Nursing is not easy work. You get the blue-collar physical work with the white-collar work with your head. We burn people out. We are frequently not very nice to each other. We take heat for other people’s stress; both the sick and other professionals. It would be nice some days to just mindlessly solder parts of a cell phone together. If something is wrong, it can be fixed. Nobody has to die over it. There are 600,000 nurses not currently working in their profession in this country. When the economy is tight, they reenter the nursing work force, and make the job market tighter for the rest of us. In addition, a number of foreign nurses will continue to be hired and American nursing schools will continue to crank out more New Graduate Nurses then the hospitals can handle. A combination of both a recession and the current trend will devastate nursing wages and opportunities for employment. I think the optimism shared by most people regarding nursing is based on fantasy. Everyone thinks he/she is needed. There is a shortage, right? Besides employers have no choices. Won't they pay lots of money for us to sign on to work? These ideas are CRAZY! They have to heat the hospital and pay increased costs for supplies just like the rest of us. And when we don’t have insurance and they still provide care, guess what? The hospital loses money…money that will eventually come out of your pocket and mine. Our baby boomers are retiring. They go to Medicare for insurance, and then the rest of us have to support that bill. We are back to the same question that comes up time and time again, is healthcare a right or commodity. When money is tight, we call it commodity. When we are in an economic boom, it is a right. Hospitals can only provide care with out reimbursement just so long. If you are a nurse my advice to you is to be realistic and watch your back. Gather up all your acorns and nuts and store them for the winter. There is a downward trend in wages over the horizon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training for Power

It's been a long year. This year was HARD! Lots of injuries kept me from training to my full potential. Nearly 6 months without speed work; and what a jinx that is on performance! Some of you know I had a major back surgery in the spring of 07. My L4-S1 are now for ever fused with titanium rods. Sadly, they are not carbon fiber, as any triathlete would prefer. This has resulted in the loss of mobility/flexibility in the lower back, making my hamstrings prone to tightness and all the fun that goes with that weak link. I've tried to address this on my own. I purchased a set of Powercranks in 08 and used them faithfully. If you don't know what that is, you should. They force you to pedal each leg independent and pull the crank up/around with your hamstrings. They are beastly! They improved my run times tremendously and made my pedal stroke very smooth on the bike. In 09, I went to Mercy Sports Rehab. Brent Wesolek did an assessment of my riding and said he h

Down Time

Since missing IM WI 70.3 due to the weather, we have been taking it easy around here. A couple of long bike rides just to enjoy the summer weather here in Wisconsin. We have been ignoring the endless pool, unfortunately. It is just not something that either of us seem to enjoy that much. I need to rediscover the motivational groove, but work hours have been crazy. I am currently working four different places, which helped to pay off the pool quickly. Working so many hours has burned out the drive I had left. There hasn't been much play time. I know I am not the only one who has been working too many hours. Americans are taking less and less vacation. Maybe it is financial, maybe too many demands from work to take time away, who knows. Being a workaholic doesn't pay. We become less productive, as we continue sitting and doing the same work for hours. The human mind can only stay on task just so long, and then the quality and quantity of what we produce decreases. We make more

Ironman Louisville 2010

This past Sunday was the morning of my fourth Ironman race. The day started out at 4:30 with Mike's cell phone going off somewhere in the room. He didn't even seem to notice, and I couldn't find the damn thing in the dark. My ITouch was set to go off next to me, but it ended up providing the light needed to search for the ringing phone. Unfortunately, by the complaints next door, this started the neighbor's day early too. You don't want to camp next to the Brady's. After an entire race season of not tolerating speed work but doing a ton of endurance; the pressure was off. There were no real moments of nerves at all. Just going through the moves and wishing things could just get started. There were plenty of moments wondering what was wrong with me that I felt so chill about it all. Sometimes you just find that happy zone where you know exactly where you are at physically and go with it. It sure is a good place to be! I try to keep my race routine