Skip to main content

Xterra Velocity 0.02

87 days until IM Louisville....tick, tick, tick! Foot has been bum for several months now. It is some sort of metatarsalalgia caused by one of the bones being too long. After two months of nearly not running, I relented and got the cortisone shot. No gory details, just the fact that it friggin HURT!

So, back to IM Louisville. Always hot and wetsuits have never been legal there because it is always above the 78 degree marker. My husband said it was crazy to swim in just tri gear, and he is right. There is too much advantage to be gained with a speed suit.

The Velocity 0.02 is not a neoprene wetsuit, but a slick, non-permeable, extremely durable suit comprised of the fastest material and coating available on the market. The NANO-SCS coating, with a drag coefficient of 0.02 (the lowest available), is used continuously throughout the speedsuit. The Velocity 0.02 has a seamless front, contains no Lycra and is meant to fit snugly - especially at the chest, waist and hips - over tri gear. It is supposed to take about five minutes to put on and requires assistance zipping up. However, it (theoretically) will take less than five seconds to peel off with the easy exit flip-up zipper. I'd been looking at it and a suit made by Speedo. This one tended to be a bit more affordable. Plus, my full suit (that I love) is also Xterra.

Xterra is always running some sort of promotion. They had a deal on the speedsuits last May, so we bought the Velocity 0.02. Went off their size chart, which was to say I needed a large. After trying it on, I feel as though I've completed an Ironman just getting into the thing. For real. I've always been big in the shoulders. It nearly leaves my breasts hanging out in the front. It will be interesting to see if it loosens up in the water. Will have to wait for an open water swim for that. They tend to fall apart in chlorine.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yay!! You finally updated your blog...LOL!! Man, I'm glad you said your Xterra wetsuit is a bear to get on b/c i felt so tired by the time i got mine on when it arrived. Unfortunately or fortunately (however you want to look at it), I never did get to use it for any swims b/c the water warmed up so quickly. Oh well. But, it's ready for the end of the year if I need it. Sorry about your foot. Good luck with your training! I'll be awaiting more blog updates from you.

Popular posts from this blog

Chey's Bake Sale and Other Stuff

She pulled it off! Made 242.36....Sunday is a trip to Monroe to see Zoey Jane and Phoebe. She will give them the check then with her friends. Tomorrow is my Nephrology Nursing Exam. This comes at a time when I am seriously considering heading back to ICU. Mike has a good racket at the VA. The turnover is incredibly low. Looking at the Surgical ICU. He is in the Cardiac ICU. Every day I work, I am training someone. And I end up with a lot of call because of the turnover. Call is a serious issue, really. Some days you work your 12 hour shift and then you are out on call all night. Then scheduled to work the next day. Your choice-burn your personal time and lose your overtime OR stay the next day and work. I know I am not at my best then and it is so scary. It gives me lots of biking time, but it is eating my vacation seriously. Last time, I was out on call all night with someone's child. I would not have been my first choice if it was my kid whose life was on the line...

Ironman Perform

Ironman Perform Last week, Ironman sent athletes signed up for certain events a case of new Powerbar product called Ironman Perform.  They are intending to serve it at several events and wanted athletes to have the opportunity to train with it ahead of time.  I really appreciated their foresight with this.  After years of struggling with stomach issues, new product is a source of fear that I would rather not deal with. Because my stomach has been so finicky, my attitude has been less than great about this.  Passive-aggressive misspelling of the product to just complete irritation is pretty much where I was at.  But really, I do appreciate having the product ahead of time. So, what about the product?  Well, it brags to be their proprietary C2MAX.  C2MAX is a combo of maltodextrin, fructose and dextrose.  Biochemistry was never my thing, but a multi-path energy source is obviously a valuable thing.  Remember good old Krebs?  Your bo...

Training for Power

It's been a long year. This year was HARD! Lots of injuries kept me from training to my full potential. Nearly 6 months without speed work; and what a jinx that is on performance! Some of you know I had a major back surgery in the spring of 07. My L4-S1 are now for ever fused with titanium rods. Sadly, they are not carbon fiber, as any triathlete would prefer. This has resulted in the loss of mobility/flexibility in the lower back, making my hamstrings prone to tightness and all the fun that goes with that weak link. I've tried to address this on my own. I purchased a set of Powercranks in 08 and used them faithfully. If you don't know what that is, you should. They force you to pedal each leg independent and pull the crank up/around with your hamstrings. They are beastly! They improved my run times tremendously and made my pedal stroke very smooth on the bike. In 09, I went to Mercy Sports Rehab. Brent Wesolek did an assessment of my riding and said he h...